1 medium eggplant
2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 garlic bulb
1 Tbs vinegar or lemon juice
1 Tbs olive oil
Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and fresh or dried herbs to taste.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut about ¾ inch off the top of the garlic bulb.
- Drizzle the inside of bulb with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Wrap bulb in foil.
- With a fork, poke several holes in the eggplant.
- Set eggplant and foil-wrapped bulb in a baking pan.
- Roast eggplant and garlic in oven for 30 minutes.
- Add quartered tomatoes to baking pan and roast for 15 more minutes.Remove from oven and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, cut eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds (as much as possible).
- Puree eggplant, roasted garlic cloves, and tomatoes in food processor or blender.
- Blend in olive oil, vinegar/lemon, salt, pepper, herbs and crushed pepper.
Notes: To remove roasted garlic cloves from bulb, turn upside down and squeeze from root end to top of bulb. The roasted clove should pop out from the cut end. I used crushed, red New Mexico chiles, lemon juice, and herbs de Provence.